Monday, January 31, 2011

Introduction

Hi!  My name is Dave, and I'm an amateur baker. 

This blog is intended to document my experiences in baking at home; much of it will feature breads and other products made from yeast-leavened dough, though the occasional cake, cookie, and like item will be featured.  Why I'm doing this is to show you, the amateur or wannabe baker, that while there's a certain amount of science and specificity to baking, it's nonetheless extremely easy to do with a minimum of tools and equipment.

Home-baked items just taste better than anything you can purchase from a store, and part of that is the satisfaction that comes with having prepared your food with your own two hands.  Some of the baked goods described here will include a few pre-made products, but for the most part, the intent is to always start from scratch.  With the proper ingredients, a good recipe, and some attention to detail, there's almost nothing you can't make yourself.  When you know what goes into your food, you appreciate it more.  That's part of what it means to eat healthy.

One thing I need to stress is that I'm an amateur baker.  I bake because I like it, both the act and the final product.  I've been baking for about nine years or so, starting with a bread machine and progressing to the use of a stand mixer and pizza stone.  I also live in a high-altitude area (the Rocky Mountains), so my results may be a bit different from yours if you live at sea level.  In general, though, I suspect that the mistakes I make, as well as the successes I experience, will not be significantly different from yours.

I'm always interested in hearing from you, so feel free to comment if you have any questions, concerns, or thoughts.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment